Thursday, May 27, 2010

Where you lead me I will follow...

I remember singing the song "I have decided to follow Jesus" back in children's church. Those are powerful words that never really made sense to me until I got a little older. A few years ago when Duane went on CIY, Aaron Peslue came out with a new version of the song and I loved it. The words are simple, yet so meaningful. This song has been running through my head a lot the past few weeks as my teaching job at Danville was coming to an end and I began the job search all over again. As always, God took care of me and for that I am very thankful.

I have loved my time at Danville. I have learned so much and gotten to know some really great teachers and kids. I felt comfortable there. Danville is a lot like Plainfield and so it was definitely in my comfort zone. It was a great school to work at and I am grateful I had the opportunity to teach there. However, I still felt a calling to a different type of school. Ever since I went on a couple of mission trips in high school, I have desperately wanted to teach in a more urban school. It's a hard feeling to explain but I know that's where I belong. This dream came to life when I student taught in Perry. I had such a great experience there and felt like it was the type of environment I'd love to teach in. I love the diversity of students and how much they impacted me. Don't get me wrong..my students at Danville have greatly impacted me and I will miss them dearly. I just feel like I belong somewhere else..and not just because there was no job for me in Danville...ha! :)

So, about a month ago I started the job search again. I would check every school's website within a 30 mile radius for job postings. I did this every single night! It became a little game that I did NOT like to play! I applied for a fourth grade teaching position at Pitsborro elementary, another small school in Henricks county, and also a sixth grade teaching position at Creston Intermediate Academy in Warren Township. I prayed about it a lot. I asked God to lead me to the school he wanted me at. The school that I would hopefully stay at for a while.

Fast forward a few days and I got a call from Pitsborro to interview. Unfortunately I did not get an interview for the full time fourth grade position I had applied for, but instead a fifth grade maternity leave position at the same school. It had been a little over a week since I had applied at Warren, so I had pretty much given up on getting an interview. I agreed to interview for the maternity leave, knowing that it was not what I wanted. The morning of the interview I was feeling really discouraged. I just wanted a full time job. Little did I know, God was just wanting me to practice patience (I need LOTS of practice in this area). The day of my interview with Pittsboro I got a call from Warren and they asked me to interview the next day. I was SO excited I could hardly contain myself. I went ahead and went to my interview at Pittsboro and it went really well. They offered me the position and it sounded like a great school. Duane and I decided that if I did not get a full time teaching job, we would risk me taking the maternity leave and not having anything after it (I'm so lucky to have a supportive husband). After my interview I started preparing for my interview the next day.

My best friend, Carrie, teaches at Creston Middle School and she came over and helped me "prep" for my interview the night before. She was a big help! I was a nervous wreck the day of my interview. Luckily I was teaching all day so that helped take my mind off the interview. I headed to the interview right after school. I prayed the whole way there. I just had a feeling that I would love teaching at Warren. To my surprise, the interview went great! I loved the principal and assistant principal and thought the school sounded like the type of school I wanted to be at. I left the interview feeling pretty confident. After all, I did just teach sixth grade for 6 months so I think I should have a little idea of what I'm doing...right?! :) The principal said they would discuss their decision and call me in the middle of the next week. I was dreading the "wait" time, but felt like I had done the best I could in the interview and the rest was up to God. Little did I know, I'd only have to wait two days!

On Monday my current principal came to me and said he had just gotten off the phone with Creston's principal and that I needed to call him. I left my kids with another teacher and called him right away. And guess what....he offered me the job!!!!!! I was SO excited!!! So excited and so relieved. God had answered my prayer and where HE leads me, I will follow.

Today was my last day at Danville. It was a very bittersweet day. I was sad to be parting with my students especially since I won't see them again in the future. I was also sad to leave some of the amazing teachers I have met. However, I am so ready to move on to my new job. Am I nervous, of course! It wouldn't be normal if I wasn't! I know that this is where God wants me, and I find a lot of peace in that.

These last few weeks have been nothing short of crazy and I am so relieved to have a little break. In college we always learned about how stressful the beginning of school was, but no one ever told us how crazy the end of school was. Geez! I wouldn't have gotten everything done had it not been for Duane. He helped with lots of end of the year things while I was setting up my new room at the summer camp I work at. He's a keeper I guess....:)

So there you have it. I am so excited to start my second year (kind of) of teaching. I can't wait to blog more about it! I'm exhausted though, so I think it's time for me to relax! Have a great night!

1 comment:

  1. Kelly,

    So happy for your new position! God is good!

    Hugs from the Bourkes
    Janet, Kevin, Ted, Philip, and Elijah

    ReplyDelete