Saturday, September 10, 2011

Baby food makin'

You read that title correctly.  I am actually making my own baby food!  I almost can't believe it.  After all, it's not often I ever cook dinner for my husband!  I've gone back and forth as to whether or not I wanted to take the time to make Kason's food.  A sweet lady from church had made some for me which I really appreciated.  I thought about continuing to have her do so, but decided I wanted to make it myself.  I thought it sounded fun and I felt like I'd feel better knowing that I made his food myself.  Why homemade you ask?  Here are a few reasons:

1. Health - homemade baby food is much healthier (or so I read).  I know exactly what goes into the food and there are no extras.
2. Cost - The Baby Bullet I bought was $52 (originally $60 but I used a 20% off Bed Bath and Beyond coupon).  I figure I will make up that cost in about 3 weeks making Kason's food instead of buying it.  One bag of peas (about 3.5 cups) cost me 94 cents.  Two containers of baby food cost about $1.09.  I was able to make 9 days worth of peas for 94 cents.  That is crazy!!  I know all of the food won't be this cheap, but the frozen peas were a steal! :)
3. Food provided by me - I have been the sole provider of Kason's food for the past 5 months.  Although that has proven to be extremely stressful at times, it's also been such an amazing experience.  As I keep providing milk for him, I figure I'll provide his other food as well..just in a different way! :)

So today was the day a few weeks ago (I started this blog post 3 weeks ago and am just now finishing it) I decided to give it a whirl!  I decided to start with peas and pears.  Kason's already had carrots and sweet potatoes so I thought it was time for something green along with a fruit.  Here's how it works:

Photobucket
I purchased this whole set at Bed Bath and Beyond.  It comes with lots of great storage containers, which is helpful.

Photobucket
I debated on whether to get the Baby Bullet or the Magic Bullet.  I really liked that the Baby Bullet came with these nutritional guides.  They explain when to introduce certain foods, and how much.  They also list high, medium, and low food allergies for babies.  So helpful for this clueless mama!

Photobucket
I start off with putting the frozen peas onto the stove with about 1/2 c. water.

Photobucket
They steam for about 8-10 minutes.

Photobucket
I (or Duane :)) pour them into the Baby Bullet.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Blend them for about 30 seconds....

Photobucket
And ta-da!  Freshly made peas!  They look and smell gross, but Kason doesn't think so!

I store some in the fridge in these cute little containers (those need to be used in 3 days).
Photobucket

And some in the freezer.  These are good for 30 days.
Photobucket

I made the pears the same way (other than peeling and coring them).  I bought ice cube trays to store extra food in.
Photobucket

I leave them in the ice cube tray over night and the next day I just pop them out and put them into a ziplock bag.  So easy!  I like that it stores well too..

Photobucket

The end result...
Photobucket
A pea loving baby! :)

1 comment:

  1. Go, you! I have gone back and forth with both girls- to make it or not to make it. Unfortunately, they start eating food during a crazy busy time and stress wins so I buy it. Maybe the third time will be a charm- and baby #3 (who is simply part of my imaginary life plan) will get home made baby food!!

    ReplyDelete