Monday, January 17, 2011

Grandma

Photobucket
{Grandma and Grandpa holding me almost 24 years ago:)}

My grandma passed away late last night.  She would have been 80 tomorrow.  Although my heart is very heavy, I am glad she is not in pain anymore.  Grandma had a stroke when I was in sixth grade (about 10 years ago).  Shortly after that (3 months I think) my grandpa passed away very unexpectedly.  Ever since the stroke, my grandma was a lot different.  Not necessarily in a bad way, just much different.  She wasn't as mobile and cognitively, she just was different.  She was very talkative for a few years after the stroke, but more recently she has been much less vocal.  She stopped eating a couple of weeks ago, so we knew this day was coming soon.  

I am glad I was able to go to the nursing home to say goodbye to her.  I know she didn't know I was there, but I would have been really upset if I hadn't gotten to say goodbye.  I am also SO glad that I have lots of memories of my grandma before her stroke.  My mom was very close to her parents and we spent lots of time with them.  I'm so glad that we did, because I am able to keep lots of memories of my grandparents even though I had a short time to spend with them.  I wanted to blog a few of these memories so that I can have them for the rest of my life.  I can't wait to share these memories with my baby boy some day.

*One of my favorite childhood memories was going to my grandparents house to spend the night.  My cousins and sisters would all spend the night pretty often.  We would LOVE to play dress up with grandma's old clothes and jewelry.  The best part was, grandma didn't care if we wore the dress up clothes out to dinner.  We would always eat at Waffle House and to this day I still think of those sleep overs when I pass a waffle house.

*I remember lots of holiday gatherings at my grandparents house.  I specifically remember my grandma cooking for these celebrations.  She would make dinner for out whole family and it always tasted so good!  Unfortunately, I did not inherit her cookings skills. :)

*In sixth grade, I experienced my first school dance.  I don't remember what dance it was, but I remember grandma going shopping with my mom and I for the perfect outfit.  I think this memory is so special to me because shortly after this is when my grandma had her stroke.  

*My grandparents lived in a neighborhood that was centered around a lake.  There was a pool and a clubhouse that we visited often.  I don't remember too man times that grandma actually swam with us, but I always remember her sitting on the side of the pool watching and laughing with us.  She always had something cold for us to drink and something yummy to snack on.  

I could go on and on about memories that I have with my grandma, but the ones I listed were most important and vivid in my memory.  I am sad that my grandma will never get to hold Baby G, but am glad she's not in pain any longer.

Thanks for listening. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment