Thursday, November 24, 2011

A humble reminder {Thankful}

This was me a year ago on Thanksgiving...

Photobucket

Today I am obviously thankful that instead of carrying that sweet baby boy inside of me, I will be spending the day watching my son giggle and smile.   I could go on and on about the joy he brings me and how thankful I am for him, but I think that's already pretty clear.  However, yesterday, I was reminded of how grateful I am that Kason is happy and healthy.

Last night I went to visit one of my students in the hospital.  She is in the ICU at the local children's hospital.  They don't know what is wrong with her, but her body is basically failing on her, and they can't find an exact cause.  Today they will be placing her into a drug induced coma because her body is working too hard at fighting the disease that has taken over her body. As I walked through the halls of the ICU last night, my heart slowly broke.  I literally felt like I could be sick to my stomach.  I walked by rooms where babies were laying in cribs with tubes attached to every visible part of their bodies.  I saw families with tears in their eyes as they looked at their child laying helpless in a hospital bed.  I have tears in my eyes just thinking about it.

That experience brought me to a humbling realization.  No matter what is going wrong in my life, I have a healthy son.  I can come home and hug him everyday after work.  I can spend Thanksgiving with him today.  Some parents don't have that.  As a parent, I can't even begin to fathom my baby being sick in the hospital (let alone the ICU) or even worse, my baby not being here.

So today, I am thankful to God, and him only, for blessing me with a healthy child.  I am blessed beyond measures and far beyond what I deserve.  So while I am thankful, I am also being prayerful for those families that are finding it hard to be thankful on this holiday.  My hear hurts for them, and I am praying that God will comfort them in these dark times. 

 Please pray for my student.  She is such a sweet girl after seeing her last night, I am going to be praying all day that God comforts her and brings love and guidance to her family.  I don't want to give a lot of details, but she was just at school on Monday, and I sent her to the nurse because she had a fever.  How quickly life can change.

Sorry to be such a downer, but I feel like I had to blog about this because it is such a humbling reminder to me, and you.  No matter how bad I think things are, I will always be thankful that at this moment, I have a healthy, beautiful baby boy.  

I am thankful that I get to see this smile all day...
Photobucket

Happy Thanksgiving!

"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will for you in Christ." --1 Thessalonians 5:18

No comments:

Post a Comment