Friday, January 13, 2012

the next step

I've talked a few times about my love for photography.  I blogged about my camera here, which told the story of how my passion for photography began.  It's been something I have worked at for a few years.  I have loved capturing Kason's first 10 (gasp!) months of life.  However, I've recently realized that I'd like to take my hobby a step further.  

I did a 1:1 mentoring session with an amazing photographer and learned so much.  Sarah gave me the courage to actually begin a career in photography.  Last night, I took a big step, I created a facebook fan page for my photography.  This may not seem like a big deal, but it was something that was hard for me to do.  Here are a few reasons why I finally decided to go for it.

1. Passion.  I love every aspect of photography.  I love photographing people and creating images that I know they will love.  I love putting finishing touches on the photos through editing to get them just right.  I love creating something that families can hang in their homes and cherish.

2. Confidence.  Or maybe I should I say, lack there of.  You see, I always had this idea that I would start a photography business when I was "good".  Well I've learned that the "good" I have in mind will only be accomplished with practice.  The "good" I have in mind is a pretty high standard.  I admire a lot of awesome photographers and know very well that I am not yet there.  I have a lot to learn, but I finally feel confident enough to put myself out there.  Knowing I'm not perfect will allow me to always strive to improve.  I hope to look through my pictures in a few months and notice improvement.  If not, I'll know I need to take a step back and remind myself of my goal.  To be a "good", maybe even "great" photographer.  One that capture images of families being families and kids being kids.

3. Growth.  As I said above, I know my photos aren't perfect.  My main goal for the first few months (probably even year) is to learn, learn, learn!  I know I will make mistakes, and that's ok.  My number one goal in getting started is to improve.  I want to learn more about backlighting.  I want to learn more about photoshop.  I want to work hard to make sure all of my images are sharp.  These are just a few things, but things that are so important to me.

4. Change.  I really do love being a teacher.  It is what I've always wanted to be and I can't imagine having any other job.  That being said, I despise all of the things that come along with teaching.  Like the paper work, the testing, the meetings, etc.  Teaching would be a dream profession if I just had to teach. :)  I'm not saying that I plan to stop teaching anytime soon, but I'm not sure if it's something I can do long term.  I'm not sure I agree with the way our state is headed in terms of education and it gets disheartening to always be blamed for everything my students do wrong.  So, if one day I decide I'd like to make a change, I know that photography would be something I could love just as much as teaching.

As much as these things have made me want to take the next step, I still have many fears and reservations.  I'm putting my photos out there for everyone to judge.  I know some people might not like them, but I am ok with that.  As long as I work hard to improve, that's all I can ask for.  All of the photographers that I have followed over the years have grown so much and I have loved watching it.  They inspire me to continue to learn and continue to improve.  :)

So there it is, that's why I decided now was the time to take the next step.  If you haven't already, please head over to my Facebook page and "like" it.  This will help me get my name out there! :)

Thanks for listening.

Click here to visit my page! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment