Wednesday, January 11, 2012

rainy random wednesday

Not sure if i've said it before, but I have quite a long commute to work everyday.  Like 45 minutes long. So I have lots of time to think.  Although I hate wasting an hour and a half in the car everyday, it does give me lots of time to unwind and think.  Here are some random thoughts that went through my mind on my afternoon drive today.

1. I'm pretty sure I have radio ADD.  In the mornings I always listen to the Smiley morning show and I love it.  However, in the afternoon I am constantly switching around from station to station.  From country, to hip hop/R&B (I never know what to call know, Beyonce, Rihanna, etc.  I gotta keep up with my students!), to worship, to 90s music, I'm all over the place.  A couple of artist that I will never change the station when I hear them: Keith Urban, Lady Antebellum, Katy Perry (Love her addictive, always-stuck-in- my-head music!  Artist that I always change the station the second I hear their voice: Taylor Swift (Gag), Adele (girl can sing, but if I hear "Someone like you" one more time, I might punch the radio!), and Nickelback.  On a completely unrelated note, I love the name Adele, and if I ever have a girl, that's a name that's at the top of my list.

2. Before Christmas break my student that I blogged about here passed away.  The doctors still don't know what caused all of her organs to shut down.  As a teacher, this has been one of the hardest things I've faced.  Telling my students was hard.  Taking her off of my roster was hard.  Taking her desk out of our seating arrangement was hard.  However one of the hardest (most sad) parts of the whole thing hit me today on my ride home.  Yes, my students were upset about her death.  They wrote notes to her and made cards for her family after they found out.  However, it didn't hit them as hard as I thought.  Why you ask?  Because my kids deal with death a lot more than I ever had to as a kid.  It's part of their lives whether it's a family member, neighbor, or peer, they have lots of experience with it.  Could have been murder, drugs, etc..a lot of them deal with it on a pretty frequent basis.  This is heartbreaking to me.  Although teaching and being a mom is so hard, I'm always glad when God gives me a reminder that these kids are my mission field.

3. I still need to blog about Christmas and New Years.  Ugh.  I still need to edit the pictures for the blog post.  Ugh.  As much as I want/need to record these events..I'm just not motivated to do it.  Expect those posts sometime by spring.  Ha! :)  

4. Special K Chocolatey Delight is my FAVORITE cereal.  For the past 3 days I've been doing the Special K Challenge.  Lose 7 pounds in two weeks.  This diet could also be known as the starve yourself diet.  I am SO hungry all day..but am sticking with it!  I've allowed myself some snacks, but it has to be healthy!  Grapes, apples, oranges, etc.  Once I lose that weight, I want to really start working out and trying to get some muscle back.  This flab needs to go!

5. Since I did my 1:1 photography mentoring I've been dying to practice!  Unfortunately, the weather isn't the best for outdoor pictures.  I hope this motivation is still with me come spring.

6. I'm sure I'll post in in Kason's 10 month post, but the kids been saying "Kaia" (our dog's name) over and over and over again!  He tackles her (because oh yea, that little guy is now WALKING!) and yells "Aia, Aia, Aia!"  He follows her around and when we ask "where's Kaia?!" he looks all over for her.  So. Cute.

7. I overheard a lady at Applebees last week saying that she thought Kason looked about four months old.  Seriously?  He's small but clearly not 4 months.  I haven't mean many walking 4 month olds.

8. I'm no fan of snow but am ready for a few inches.  This girl needs some 2 hour delays!

9. Materialism is something I have always struggled with.  I go through phases where I want to sell everything and move to Africa and work in an orphanage.  Scary part, Duane has these same phases.  Even scarier, I think someday God might really call us to do this.

10. My poor husband passed a kidney stone last night.  It was the weirdest thing!  He came home from work and said he had a funny feeling in his back.  After dinner, he said he needed to lay down.  Two minutes later he was in unbearable pain.  Having had a kidney stone myself, I kind of figured that might be the cause of his pain.  He asked me to take him to the ER (which is SO unlike him) and so I called my sister (nurse Jill) and we took him.  He was laying on the floor in the ER (the 10 year old boy sitting next to us was staring at him..ha!) for about 20 minutes and they finally got him a bed.  About 10 minutes later, he went to the bathroom and immediately felt better.  My kidney stone took about 2 months to pass.  His, about 3 hours.  And I gave birth to our son.  I think I win.  Or loose, whichever way you look at it!

That's all I got for now.  If you made it to the end..thanks!

Side-note - I sometimes wonder if people only read my random posts because that's how I announced I was pregnant.  No pregnancy here, my friends!  But thanks for reading! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment